International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People
29 November 2016
“You can't have occupation and human rights”
A 68 Year-Long Struggle
Since 1977, when the General Assembly adopted resolution 32/40 B on the “Question of Palestine”, the 29 November was established as the international day of solidarity with the Palestinian people. On this day, the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People arranges a special meeting at the UN Headquarters in New York where the President of the Security Council, the President of General Assembly, and representatives of relevant UN bodies express solidarity with the Palestinian issue. Moreover, messages of solidarity are delivered by governments and civil society, films on Palestine are screened, and exhibitions and cultural events are organized.
The aim of the observance of this day is to remind the world that the issue of Palestine is still unsolved, the Palestinian people are still suffering, and their basic rights remains denied. In particular, we talk about the rights that should be guaranteed to them by the UN different resolutions such as the right to self-determination (res.3236/1974), the right to return (res.194/1948), and the right of an independent state without interference and with defined borders in which Palestinians will live in dignity, out of fear or threat (res.242/1967).
This day was chosen very carefully, as it marks a turning point in the history of the Palestinian people. It was the day when the General Assembly adopted, back in 1947, resolution 181(II), which called for the partition of the Palestinian land into two states: Jewish and Palestinian. However, while the Jewish state was established, the Palestinian in fact was not, and from that moment its people experienced the worst massacres and exodus in their history.
Geneva International Centre for Justice (GICJ) has a long history of advocacy for the Palestinian cause and, in particular, for the daily violations committed against this population. In this context, it has been working constantly to draw the attention of the relevant UN bodies and the international community towards these violations as well as towards the perpetual refusal of Israel to comply with UN resolutions. The shocking lack of accountability for the crimes committed in Palestine is what has allowed and will allow their perpetration throughout the decades, unless urgent and definitive action is taken. Today, GICJ wants, therefore, to take this chance by joining the observance of this important anniversary, to show its deep solidarity with the Palestinian people, to remember the appalling human rights violations they were subjected to for more than 68 years and to call for the ultimate halt of Israeli illegal apartheid regime over this strained, yet always hopeful, land.
GICJ Activities on the Human Rights situation in Palestine and other occupied Arab territories
GICJ Urgent Appeals on Palestine:
- GICJ - Punishing people for the misdeeds of others clearly violates international law - July 2014
- A match in the powder keg: The occupying force continues to contravene international law - April 2014
- GICJ – Urgent Appeal on the Forcible eviction of Ein Hijleh - February 2014
- UN press release on behalf of Issa Amro - September 2013
- GICJ –Urgent appeal following arbitrary arrest of Sireen Khudiri - June 2013
- GICJ – Follow-up appeal on behalf of HR defender - June 2013
- GICJ - Follow-up appeal on the case of Mr. Issa Amro - April 2013
- GICJ - Urgent Appeal to the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders - March 2013
- GICJ – Urgent Appeal to the UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Palestinian territories occupied since 1967 - February 2013
GICJ Side-Events and oral statements on Palestine:
Human Rights Council - 30th regular session (14 September - 2 October 2015)
Human Rights Council - 29th regular session (15 June - 3 July 2015)
Human Rights Council - 21st special session on the human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem (23 July 2014)
Human Rights Council - 26th regular session (10 - 27 June 2014):
Human Rights Council - 25th regular session (3 - 28 March 2014):
Human Rights Council - 24th regular session (9 - 27 September 2013):
- Side-event: Human Rights in Palestine - Palestinian Refugees in Diaspora and their Right of Return, Where to?
- Side-event: Human Rights in Middle East - Give Peace a chance
- Democracy and the Right to self-determination
- GICJ statements on Palestine
Human Rights Council - 23rd regular session (27 May - 14 June 2013):